We've covered a load of topics at dccom but don't think we've covered the what-are-your-most-frequently-visited-sites topic. I ask because I've been spending the last few hours going though dccom usability data.
Here are a few observations that I can share with you now:-
- News Items get as many or more hits than Articles which was not the case before the...
1. Merge of the he Article and News Item RSS feed
2. Portal redesign
- About 25% of RSS feed readers actually click through to the site.
- Firefox users is at 60% while IE is at 22% (IE 6/7 combined). A note to IE users that I've turned some functionality off for IE due to CSS bugs. Firefox users get the full experience.
- The most popular page is the top index page and the second most popular page is the paginated news items for all members > http://www.dannychoo.com/basedir/mac/eng/image/category/everything/mirai/0000/00/0.html
- dannychoo.com has nearly a million pages indexed in Googles search index as of today (fluctuates)
- 30% of users come from search engine results. 30% is the norm as I observed when I worked at Amazon and Microsoft. If you have more than 30% of your users coming from search then I would advise to work with folks who run sites with content similar to yours. Users from those sites are more likely to be converted than a user from a search engine.
Relying too much on a search engine is bad - just imagine you got banned from Googles index for some reason. This recently happened to somebody I know...
-Hmmm. Just realized that I got more to share but would probably make sense to spread it out a bit.
As for the sites that I frequently visit include...
And all sites registered at http://www.otaku.fm/
Do try to watch some videos on http://www.ted.com/- you will start to see life differently.
Have been thinking of merging News Items and Articles in a view similar to http://kotaku.com/ but not sure what you thought about that.
Would be great to learn what sites you frequently visit as it would help me with the usability design tweaks that I am planning now. It would help other members discover new content too.
Took this photo a few mins ago. Still need to style Saber-chans hair ^^;